We know that you are really tired after getting the “you may be a victim of software counterfeiting” error on your device display. While doing any work and getting such errors will ruin our day and if you are the one who is getting such error messages then don’t worry about it. Today, here in this article we are going to share some of the best methods and steps which help you to get rid of this error in a very easy and quick manner.
With the help of this article, you will get some of the best and proven methods by which you can easily be able to fix this error quickly. So, simply read this article till the end which helps you to get rid of this error.
What is the “You May Be a Victim of Software Counterfeiting” Message?
When you get you may be a victim of software counterfeiting message on your display then it means that the window copy which you are using became old and didn’t validate the genuine windows license validation. So, in this case, you need to remove it by using some of the genuine methods which include removing WGA, deleting the WgaLogon folder by using the Registry Editor, and also by simply performing the system restore.
You may be a victim of software counterfeiting fix windows 7 error is one of the common errors which will take place with all pirated versions of windows. As recently Microsoft released a Windows Genuine Advantage update which is an anti-piracy system that will enforce the online validation of the licensing which you will see in this error.
Basically, this pop-up message takes place at the time when you try to connect your system with the internet and when you try to update the windows versions. Also, this will happen because Microsoft is pressing the software counterfeiting and required a double-click.
If you want to get rid of this you may be a victim of software counterfeiting Microsoft office error messages then you are required to fix this error so that you will never face the “You may be a victim of software counterfeiting” message in the future. So, check out the solutions which we are sharing below.
5 Methods To Fix “You May Be A Victim of Software Counterfeiting” Error
There are two different reasons which will be the major cause of software counterfeiting error. So, check out the reasons first.
- You may be using a pirated version of windows
- A recent update in the WGA system or you may be trying to update windows recently.
There are some of the easy methods which you need to follow in order to resolve the problem that you may be a victim of software counterfeiting windows 7 disable error.
Remove WgaLogon Folder Using Registry Editor
One of the easy and simple methods to fix the software counterfeiting error is by simply removing the WgaLogon folder from your device. Simply follow the steps which we are sharing below.
- You need to open the Task Manager which you can do simply by clicking on the Ctrl + Shift + Esc and then you need to click on the Processes tab.
- Now, simply scroll down where you will find the Wgtray.exe, and then, you need to make a right-click on the and then click on the End Task button.
- After this, you need to restart your PC and then, simply try to login into safe mode by clicking on the FB key before your system gets the boot.
- Now, you need to open My Computer and then you need to delete the WgaTray.exe which you will find under C:WindowsSystem32dllcache.
- Now, you are required to search for the WgaTry.Exe from C:WindowsSystem32dllcache and then you need to delete it as well.
- After this, simply open the Run window, and then, you are required to type Regedit in the command box.
- Then, you are required to Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE → CurrentVersion → Winlogon → Notify. Now, when you find it then you are required to delete Wgalogon folder along with all its content/
- Now, you need to again restart your PC.
If the above-given steps are helpful for you then this error won’t appear on the display again.
Solve by Removing WGA
Now if the above-given method is not helpful for you then you are required to follow this step. With the help of this step, you can easily be able to fix this you may be a victim of software counterfeiting windows 7 disable error by just removing WGA. Basically, WGA is one of the tools which will remove the intentionally deployed windows genie advanced notification. Also, it will make your PC quieter. When you load any file then it will automatically open a connection with the Microsoft servers.
When you use the Remove WGA app on your PC then you can easily be able to get rid of this error. Also, you need to know that this method will take much less time and solve this error quickly. You also need to ensure that your antivirus is turned off when you are using the RemoveWGA. When you perform this task then you can easily be able to get rid of this error.
Remove WAT to Solve “You May Be A Victim of Software Counterfeiting” Error
This method is so similar to the previous method which also involves removing WAT. Basically, WAT is one of the useful methods to activate your window. To begin this process, follow the steps below.
- You need to turn off your Antivirus protection.
- Then, you need to download the RemoveWat and then install it on your device properly.
- Now, you need to open this software and then click on the RemoveWAT option.
- Then, within very little time, your PC will get restarted in terms of completing the process. Now, you will not face this error again.
Stop WGA Update
If after removing the WGA components, you are still facing the windows software counterfeiting error then you can simply try to stop the WGA update. It is because at the time when you are installing the updates then the window starts trying to install a WGA update which will show you the same error.
In the process to fix this error, you are required to turn off all the updates by using the below-given methods:
- First of all, you need to open the Control Panel.
- Then, open the Automatic Updates window.
- Then, click on the “Turn Off Automatic Update” window option.
Now, you will not be interrupted with the same error in the future.
Restore to the Previous Date
Now, move forward to the last method, only if the above-given methods are not helpful for you in the process to fix the “You may be a victim of software counterfeiting” error on windows 10, windows 8, or Windows 7 by simply restoring the previous date. Simply change the windows to the previous date or also, you can simply restore the previously taken backup of your windows. Simply follow the steps below.
- You need to click on the Start menu and then, simply click on the Computer option.
- After this, you need to open the File Explorer and then select the properties option.
- Now, the system will show you a screen where you need to click on the option of System Protection.
- Then, click on the option of System Restore and then, make a click on the Restore points.
- Simply check the latest restore point and then, you will not get the software counterfeiting error in the future.
- When you restore it successfully then you need to restart your PC in a normal manner.
Also Read: Discord Hangs in the Update Loop
So, hopefully, with the help of the above-given proven methods, you can easily be able to get rid of this “you may be a victim of software counterfeiting” error. If this article is helpful for you then simply share this article with others so that they can also use these methods to get rid of this error.