There are lots of people who report that Microsoft Word can’t edit word documents. If you are one of them and want to know the methods to fix this problem where users ask for “why can’t I edit my word document” then you need to keep reading this article till the end by which you will get to know lots of fixes of this error in an easy and quick manner.
Why can’t I Edit My Word Document? Fixing Guide
Basically, a word document is one of the very important for the settings of the office and also for several types of office work and reports which can easily be done by the Microsoft work. You need to know that Microsoft’s productive suite is one of the very simple and easy software to work with.
Also, Microsoft Word is one of the best text editors which is available in the market. Also, the question is what are the reasons that you can’t edit word documents suddenly. It may also be problematic for the workers in the office.
We understand how irritating it is when we face this problem and that’s the reason that we create this article where we are going to discuss some of the best methods and fixes of this can’t edit word document selection locked issue.
So, keep reading this article till the end to know each and every possible detail.
Why Can’t I Edit My Word Document?
There are lots of reasons which will stop the users from editing the word document which we are sharing in this section. If you want to know the reasons behind this can’t edit word document in Microsoft teams issue then keep reading this article till the end to know all the possible details.
- You may start facing this error only if you are using the trial version of the office program and if it gets expired.
- Also, the word file which you are trying to open is in read-only mode and that’s the reason that you can’t be able to edit that file.
- If the editing of the word document has been restricted then this starts creating issues.
- The protected view feature will be enabled and will restrict document editing which may harm your computer.
- If you are using a shared network and more than one user has opened the same document at the same time then you cannot edit the word document.
- Also, it may be possible that the file may not be a word document but converted to .doc and that’s why the Microsoft work doesn’t allow you to edit the file.
What To Do When You Can’t Edit Word Document?
As you will get to know several types of reasons behind this issue and now let’s have a look at the fixes of this can’t edit word document onedrive problem which we are sharing below.
Solution 1: Check Some Basic Issues
Basically, this issue may take place at the time of using a trial version of the Microsoft office and also when your trial period expires. Also, one of the major things which you need to do is that if you are a user of the trial version then you have to check that your trial period is expired or not.
Now, if that document which you are willing to edit is in a USB device or in any of the removable devices, and if yes then you have to simply copy that file in your system and then again try to edit that file.
Then, you have to check that if the work file is asking you for the password at the time of trying to edit the document, and if it asks then you need to ask the document owner for the password of that document.
Finally, you have to check that the document which you are trying to open is a .doc file. Most of the time, this issue will take place when any different files get converted into the .doc which isn’t allowed by Microsoft to edit.
Solution 2: Disable Read Only Mode
You need to know that this problem mainly takes place when the document has been opened in the read-only mode.
So, in this case, you have to disable the read-only mode to fix this can’t edit word document compatibility mode problem.
In order to disable the read-only mode, you have to follow the steps which we are sharing below.
- First of all, you have to find the word document which you are willing to edit and then make a right-click on that word file.
- Now, you have to click on the option of properties with the help of the pop-up option.
- Simply uncheck the Read-Only attribute which is available in the General tab.
- After this, you have to select the security tab and then check that the group or user names elements will allow the full control, modify, read and execute, read, write permission or not.
- If they are not allowed then you have to click on the edit button which is available below the user names section and then you have to select the boxes for the above options.
- In the last step, you have to make a click on the apply and Ok to save the changes successfully.
Now, you need to check that if you still can’t edit word documents then this solution will be helpful for you.
Solution 3: Change the Restrict Editing Settings
As I said earlier, the documents may be restricted to edit and in that case, you can change the restricted editing settings which helps you to fix this can’t edit word document on iPhone issue.
In the process to change the restricted editing settings, you are required to simply follow the steps which we are sharing below.
- First of all, you have to open the document in MS word and then make a click on the review option.
- Now, click on the option of restrict editing and if there is any selected restriction box available then you have to simply uncheck it.
- Now, close the document and then simply reopen that document.
We hope that disabling the restricted editing feature will be helpful for you to fix this issue.
Solution 4: Disable The Protected View Feature
You need to know that the protected view feature in the Microsoft work generally opens the malicious files in the restricted mode. Then, the security feature will stop them from being edited in the word document as it is considered the document is malicious or a threat to your device.
In order to disable the protected view, you have to simply read and follow the steps which we are sharing below to fix the can’t edit word document online issue.
- You have to open the document in MS word and then you need to make a click on the File option.
- Now, simply scroll down and then make a click on the options which will open the word options panel in your system.
- Now, make a click on the trust center option, and then you have to click on the option of trust center settings.
- After this, you have to make a click on the option of protected view.
- Now, simply uncheck all the related options of the protected view and then click on the OK button.
Now, you have to close all the documents, and then you need to reopen them. Check out whether you are able to edit the documents or not. If you cannot edit a word document then you need to move towards the next method which we are sharing below.
Solution 5: Remove The Owner Of The File
If you are opening a word file that is available in the shared network and you can’t edit word documents in teams then it means that the file has been already opened and is being edited by someone else. In that case, the file will open in the read-only mode until you remove the owner of the file. To know the process of removing file owners, check out the steps which we are sharing below to fix can’t edit word documents on iPad issue.
- First of all, you have to save the word file which you are not able to edit, and then you need to close all the programs which also include the document.
- Now, simply press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc button on your desktop, and then it will open the task manager.
- Now, in the processes tab, you have to look for the exe process and make a right-click on it and then you have to click on the end process button which is available in the pop-up menu.
- If any of the dialogs get open asking you to close the program due to not responding then make a click on it.
- Now, you have to close the task manager and then look for the folder where the word document is located.
- Simply look for the file named as the ~$cument.doc and then simply delete it,
- Now, you have to open the document in Microsoft word and check that if any of the dialogs appear and ask you to load changes made to the template then you have to make a click on the No option.
You May Also Like to Read:
- How to Take A Screenshot on HP Laptop
- How to Stop Avast Web Shield Blocking Internet
- How to Close Avast Antivirus PC
- How to Delete Photos from Picasa
We hope that this solution will be helpful for you to fix can’t edit word documents and helps you to get rid of these issues.
If these methods will be helpful for you and help you to get rid of this issue in a very simple and easy manner then you must share this article with other people so that they also benefit from this article.
Also, if you have any issue or query related to this can’t edit word documents on mac articles then feel free to connect with us by dropping your valuable comment in the below-given comment section.
Table of Contents
- Why can’t I Edit My Word Document? Fixing Guide